It seems obvious that Skandar Keynes, the son of British conservationist Randal Keynes and a direct descendant of Charles Darwin, should support environmental issues. He has done so since 2009, which was the 200th anniversary of Darwin’s birth (Darwin 200 – defunct). This charity support includes trips to the Galapagos Islands, off the coast of Ecuador in South America, and to Switzerland. Skandar has supported health and heritage charities too. Georgie Henley has also supported the environment and health, but most of her charity work involves children. Such support includes donations, modeling, and official representation as a spokesperson.
CHARITY: SKANDAR KEYNES
The English Heritage Trust
Galapagos Tortoise Programme
In 2009, Skandar gave a video shout-out to Sebastian Keynes, the first tagged giant tortoise in the Galapagos Tortoise Programme. The following year, he modeled a Sebastian t-shirt designed by Lonesome George & Co. In 2013, Skandar visited both the flagship store and Sebastian in the Galapagos. One year later, he visited the Northwest Islands in the Galapagos with naturalist Juan Manuel Salcedo.
International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
IUCN, Nokia, and the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) created connect2earth (defunct) in 2008. Skandar lent public support the following year. This green online community helped young people connect with scientific experts on environmental issues. In March 2009, Skandar tracked the Grey Wolf in Switzerland’s Jura Mountains. Then he spoke with wolf expert Jean-Marc Landry and Jean-Christophe Vié, the Deputy Head of IUCN’s Species Programme, on IUCN’s radio podcast Wild Talk.
Prostate Cancer UK
Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew
The Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew created The Great Plant Hunt to encourage children to “follow in the footsteps of Darwin” by exploring nature. RBG Kew then sent Darwin’s Treasure Chest to primary schools across the UK. On March 11, 2009, Skandar presented the William Tyndale Primary School in Islington, London, with this chest.
CHARITY: GEORGIE HENLEY
Comic Relief raises money to tackle poverty and social injustice through its fundraising campaigns Sport Relief and Red Nose Day, in which people “do something funny for money.” In 2011, Georgie modeled the official Red Nose Day t-shirt, which Vivienne Westwood designed.
In 2010, Samaritan’s Purse teamed up with Walden Media and 20th Century Fox for its Operation Christmas Child shoebox drive. Georgie became the official spokesperson of Operation Narnia (defunct). The school that filled the most shoeboxes won a free screening of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010). Georgie announced the winner. Then she and co-star Skandar Keynes attended the free screening in Lexington, Kentucky.
SOS Children’s Villages
World Wildlife Fund (WWF)
Georgie wrote two books on the set of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (2005). She sold one to charity, raising $350 for WWF.
- July 22 – “Another visit to the Galapagos Islands July 2014” (Skandar Keynes)
- April 10 – “A Visit to the Galapagos Islands 2013” (Skandar Keynes)
- November 11 – “Beirut Marathon 2012” (Skandar Keynes)
- February 3 – “Red Nose Day 2011 – With Thanks to Vivienne Westwood (Vogue)
- December 9 – “Lexington home to movie premiere” (WKYT)
- December 7 – “Twentieth Century Fox and Walden Media, in Association with Operation Christmas Child and Regal Cinemas, Announce the Winner of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader / Operation Narnia ‘Hometown Premiere’ Challenge” (Business Wire)
- November 12 – “Twentieth Century Fox and Walden Media, in Association with Operation Christmas Child and Regal Cinemas Present The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader / Operation Narnia ‘Hometown Premiere’ Challenge” (Business Wire)
- August 1 – “Sebastian’s T-Shirt” (Skandar Keynes)
- July 15 – “Skandar supports connect2earth” (Skandar Keynes)
- March 25 – “Darwin’s Treasure Chest and The Great Plant Hunt” (Skandar Keynes)
- March 25 – “Who’s Afraid of The Big Bad Wolf?” (Skandar Keynes)
- March 13 – “Evolution of screen heartthrob Skandar: Teenager with Darwin link stars in Narnia films” (Islington Tribune)
- December 8 – “Interview: James McAvoy & Georgie Henley (Narnia)” (Chud.com)
“connect2earth lets you talk directly with people all over the world and some of the world’s top experts. Participate in the community and you may even get to be part of the global UN climate change negotiations, or take part in a real conservation project!” – Skandar Keynes (connect2earth)
“I can’t imagine not having my family. To not have that support and love would just be so awful. Family is the most important thing in my life. That’s why SOS Children’s Villages is so important to me too. Every child deserves the same support and care that I have.” – Georgie Henley (SOS Children’s Villages)